June 5, 2011

The day after


The day after the surgeon gave us the news, I awoke early after a brief and fitful sleep and stepped quietly to the living room.  The early morning was cool and the birds called to each other in Papa's garden. 


I glanced down at family photos on a shelf near the window.  One was a wide range shot taken at Nancy's house at least 10 years ago, an informal gathering of 10 family members from three generations clustered on the driveway after a cookout.  At far right is my father in white shirt and blue trousers, a square wristwatch on his arm.  He smiles widely beneath his white trucker's cap with a red bill.

I looked at the smile in his eyes, behind his glasses.  Then there in my living room, I felt him by my side, reassuring me that things would be fine, no matter what happened.  Then the dog shook in her crate and the moment was gone.

I went back this morning after a restful nights sleep.  I could feel the strength, love and support of husband, daughters, and sisters, the thunder of prayers from family, friends and coworkers.  I took the photograph from the shelf and looked at my dad, but the moment did not reoccur. 

Perhaps he had communicated all that he wanted and was sitting peacefully on the concrete bench, enjoying the morning calls of the birds in Papa's garden.



 

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What wonderful prose. My heart is lumpy and my eyes are full of tears.
Let your family tend to you like you tend to your beautiful garden. You will weather this storm and come out dazzling like your wonderful landscape.
love,
Nancy from Haughville

June 7, 2011 at 6:01 PM  
Blogger kates said...

After Katie died I could feel her presence from time to time. It was always a comfort to me and I did not question it. In more recent years, I have not felt her. Perhaps I don't need her comfort as much now that my children are not as demanding. I don't mind. I know that she and Dad share everlasting life and one day we will meet again.

June 10, 2011 at 7:56 PM  
Blogger Marilyn said...

I believe there are certain times and places where the veil between heaven and earth is lifted, if only for a moment. I am certain Dad is still looking out for you and, as Katie so beautifully said, one day we will all be together forever.

June 14, 2011 at 4:00 PM  
Anonymous Indie said...

That looks like such a peaceful place. Finding beauty in places like this help us weather the storm.

August 9, 2011 at 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home