March 7, 2011

Sunset



At the end of the long day, the sun drops hot and white on the horizon.  The light is blinding, yet my eyes are drawn into that fire.  I glance at the water to cool my eyes.  A round dark spot appears, then slowly fades.

Sunlight skips a line of gold across the shadowy water.  A moment later, the flare is gone.

Even before the evening cools, a breeze whips up, running a chill across bare arms.  The water stirs.




The deck is almost empty, but you and I stand shoulder to shoulder.  I drop my arms by my side and try to breathe deeply.  Then I turn my head away.

The boat rocks.  A wave laps up on its side.  The water is deep and dark.  Overhead the sky streaks orange and gold, and then glows in amber.

I stand beside the rail and watch a sailboat thread the thin line between the endless sea and the vast sky.
     

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely sunset photos. I want to be there.
Nancy from Haughville

March 7, 2011 at 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home