March 17, 2011

Purple flower


While in Miami, I saw the most beautiful purple flower, so fresh and bright that it took my breath away.  I thought about that flower in my garden this week, when I saw the wild violets, the first to bloom in the spring. 




My favorite spring flower is tradescantia, common name: spiderwort, a loathsome name for a rich purple flower with green strappy leaves.  Each flower lasts only a day, but tradescantia puts out fresh blooms each morning for several weeks each spring.




Another purple bloomer is clematis.  This one is just a baby.




Like the clematis, the passionvine is a climber, but it is far more vigorous.  In summer, I keep my eye on the passionvine, lest it smother wimpy plants nearby.  The flowers are so beautiful and intricate, they holds my attention.




Salvia farinacea is another summer bloomer, with purple wands that are attractive to bees, but not to deer -- the perfect plant.




The last to bloom in the fall are the asters, billows of purple flowers with yellow centers.  




But the beautiful purple flower that I saw in Miami is none of these.

Can you guess?  The name of the purple flower in Miami?

No, that is not right.

Shall I give you a hint?


The beautiful purple flower has already set seed.







3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your story. I never guessed the name of that beautiful purple flower.
Your blog is great, just like you.
Nancy from Haughville

March 17, 2011 at 6:30 PM  
Blogger Marilyn said...

I enjoyed the text and the pictures of the beautiful flowers, but when I got to the end of your post, I had tears in my eyes. Thanks, Auntie M.

March 18, 2011 at 8:52 PM  
Blogger lizziebrod said...

Loved the surprise ending. You're right, she is a blooming beauty!

May 3, 2011 at 2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home