December 24, 2013

Ornaments

 
 Two weeks ago, Julia bought her first Christmas tree, a small fir from a lot near Asheville.  She decorated it with homemade crafts, but I offered her the painted wood ornaments that I bought for our first tree 30 years ago. 
 
I brought the Christmas boxes down from the attic and began sorting. I kept the crochet snowflakes and satin balls that my mother made, and the collection of Hummel ornaments that she had gifted to all her children. I kept my rocking horse collection and any ornaments with a garden theme, reminding me that spring was only 12 weeks away. 
 
Lisa's said her work schedule made it impossible for her to have a Christmas tree, but I set aside a small box of ornaments with a Christmas mouse theme that Grandma Betty selected for her throughout her childhood.
 
I found "baby's first Christmas" dated 1984 and 1986, and the fuzzy penguin from Vince at Montessori preschool.  I came across the white satin ball with purple jewels and ribbons made by Margie, Julia's first grade teacher. There is a feather angel that marked Julia's place on confirmation day at McMannen Church and the cable car that we bought in San Francisco during a family vacation. 
 
The porcelain teddy bears purchased in pairs by Grandma Betty throughout the 80's were wrapped individually in tissue paper.  Handled gently every year, not one of them were chipped. I kept the soft feathered baby cardinals because I could not bear to let them go, even though Grandma had given them to the girls.
 
Like old photographs, these ornaments stir up memories of happy times from long ago, but they also remind us that life passes on. Knowing that we can never revisit those days leaves us melancholy. 
 
I finished sorting the ornaments and put them in a box.  I closed the lid.  Now I need to move on. 
  
   
  

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. And lovely porch.

December 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home