July 21, 2015

Patience



The neighborhood handyman asked me why I did not plant vines on the trellises that he built for me.

I patiently explained that I already planted two milkweed vines, handfuls of Virginia creeper and -- in desperation -- an abundance of greenbrier.


All eaten.  There is severe deer pressure in my garden, with up to 18 deer in my garden at any one time.

Now it looks like the herd is growing even larger.



This morning I followed these two does and four fawns into the next yard.


It is not easy to be patient with these voracious eaters.  But these are God's hungry creatures and most of the neighborhood is given to the lawn mower. 

Some say that Chinese abelia is more attractive to pollinators than a butterfly bush.  Many years ago, I planted one near the end of the driveway.  But it was only after the neighbors removed their oak trees in 2014 that the abelia bloomed heavily, attracting pollinators.



This morning, the abelia was serious work to bumblebees



and to butterflies. This red admiral on the abelia has a torn wing.  It may have encountered a predator but got away.  Lucky.



The July-blooming plum leaf azalea in the back yard rarely booms, which tries my patience, but this summer there were red-orange tubular flowers with long silky stamens.



This year my patience was rewarded with impatiens. After the hard winter killed a pot of Abundant Maiden Ferns, I waited until they came back.  Instead, these impatiens showed up in their place.  Who knows how many years those seeds were dormant, patiently waiting for a chance to sprout.


Patience is a useful tool in a gardeners belt.

4 Comments:

Blogger Marilyn said...

Lovely deer garden, Meg. I'm sure all God 's creatures love your yard.

July 22, 2015 at 4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your pictures of your beautiful garden. I am so happy you put up with the deer. They are beautiful, like you.
Nancy from Haughville

July 23, 2015 at 6:14 PM  
Anonymous toko alat seks said...

salam.
saya senang bisa hadir berkunjung ke sini, beberapa informasi yang sudah di shering sangatlah menarik.
mohon maaf kunjungan saya kesini meninggal jejak atau info yang mungkin berguna buat teman kita yang lain.

toko alat bantu pria dan wanita
jual mainan seksual
alat bantu seksual untuk pria dan wanita dewasa.

November 18, 2015 at 4:50 AM  
Anonymous Isolde said...

The deer like your selection.

July 9, 2017 at 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home